Pierre Oliver (or Olivier) was a Huguenot goldsmith who came to London in 1568 with his son Isaac Oliver (d. 1617). Isaac became a pupil of Nicholas Hilliard the greatest limner (painter of ornamental decoration) of his day. He went on to become an accomplished miniature painter. A later descendent, John Oliver, was a silk […]
George Lambert was not only a director of the French Hospital but was also a successful goldsmith. He employed around 22 apprentices in his thriving goldsmith and jewellery business in London. In 1887 George became Prime Warden of the Goldsmiths’ Company. He also became a liveryman of the Horners’, Glovers’, Tinplate Workers’, Gold and Silver […]
The Garnier family came from Vitry, Champagne. Isaac Garnier (1631-1712) was born there and went on to study medicine and chemistry. However, because he was a protestant he was denied his apothecary’s diploma. In 1685 he fled to England where he became Apothecary General to Chelsea Hospital. His eldest son, also Isaac (1671-1736) followed in […]
Aymé Garnault (1717-1782) came from a family of goldsmiths and jewellery makers. His father, Pierre, was a goldsmith who came to England from Châtellerault (Poitou, France) as a Huguenot refugee. Aymé was treasurer of the New River Company, founded by James I to supply water to the City of London. He lived at Lincoln’s Inn […]
Louis Cuny was a Huguenot goldsmith who was naturalised in 1697. He had his first makers mark by 1st December 1703 and was elected into the Livery in October 1708. We know that Louis lived in Panton Street, Leicester Fields, London. He made a number of fine pieces, some of which are now in our […]
The Chenevix family, from Picardy, arrived in England around 1682. Philip Chenevix became a Major with the 2nd Carabineers where he fought in the famous battle of Blenheim (1704). Philip died in the battle but his son Paul Daniel Chenevix continued the family name. The first records we have of Paul is of his shop in […]
Thomas Bevault was a first generation Huguenot goldsmith. He registered his maker’s mark in 1712 when he was living in Foster Lane, London, next door to the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths. The sugar castors shown here were made by Thomas and used at the French Hospital. They are on display in the Museum.