The Daubuz family came to England at the revocation of the Edict of Nantes (1685). Julia Daubuz and her family fled the Guienne Province in France in order to have religious freedom in England.
One of Julia’s children, Charles Daubuz became a minister and a writer. He was admitted to Queen’s College, Cambridge in 1689 where he went on to become librarian of the college and later head-master of Sheffield Grammar School.
In 1699 Charles became vicar of Brotherton and he had eight children. He died in 1717.
The bookplate shown here belonged to Jean Théophile Daubuz who was elected director of the French Hospital in 1794.