Jean-Henri Guinand was director and deputy-governor of the French Hospital. In 1742 he carried out an inventory of the hospital. This inventory provides an invaluable insight into the way of life of the inmates, staff and directors of the French Hospital.
Jean-Henri arrived in England in 1713 from Geneva. He was an active director and was a deacon to the French Protestant Church of London in Threadneedle Street. Jean-Henri was also responsible for raising large amounts of money for the almshouses. He was originally a merchant and his family ancestors are recorded as coming from Besançon. His descendants also appear on the Huguenot pedigree of Their Royal Highnesses Princes William and Henry!